Sunday, December 04, 2005

Center for the Study of Sexualities

The Center for the Study of Sexualities at Taiwan's National Central University seems like an awesome place. Its coordinator, Josephine Ho, is widely known in Taiwan, and I guess internationally. I presume her publicity in Taiwan is most negative. I wonder how much support the Center and its affiliated faculty have from the University and from the Ministry of Education. Who knows? The mere existence of the Center is amazing, given how screwed up and conservative Taiwanese society and Taiwanese education are.

I wanted to visit when I was in Taiwan last time, but I couldn't find a convenient way to get to Taoyuan. Oh well. Next time perhaps. From the face of it this Center seems like a great site for fostering activism in Taiwan on issues of sexuality and its intersectionalities...if the affiliated faculty and students subscribe to the theory of praxis and not hide in their ivory towers. I simply don't know enough to say whether or not the latter is true.

I think I should start studying.

1 Comments:

Blogger nosta said...

Getting to Taoyuan/Chungli (from Taibei) is easy--take a GuoGuangHao bus from the train station, or, you can get the train there in about 45 mins. Once you get here, to Chungli, it becomes complicated and you're advised to just take a cab.

But yes, National Central University, along with National Chiao Tung U., are two of the more innovative universities in Taiwan, with young, smart faculty running their shows. Btw, Central has a Fulbright position in the program you're interested in. For students, check this link out: http://fulbright.saec.edu.tw/2c1_main.htm

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home